Reflection / Notes / Summary
- My first sermon at New Hope UMC. This was our sister church in downtown Dayton for many years.
- New Hope was foundational in my spiritual growth, I still hold a special place in my heart for the people there.
- Xenia Ave is an impoverished area, but the people are awesome, the church is growing, and I miss it a lot.
- At New Hope, I really started to come into my own and get comfortable with preaching.
- The New Orleans story went over exceptionally well. I think food always does, though.
Summary: This sermon was specifically about the third word in the mission statement of New Home Church: Share/Build/Reach. Share the good news, build radical Christ followers, reach the world. The sermon includes practical advice on how to implement the “reach” mentality into everyday life. It was very close to the time of the “Christian Action” sermon and some parts of the story are repeated in both sermons. This sermon could be summed up by saying: When it comes to reaching the world, start internally, move to family, then to community, then to the world. We don’t have to jump on a plane to Haiti if there are folks hurting in your own community, but don’t ignore those outside of your community either.